Diagnostic Essay

New York City is the dream city. Many have dreamt to live here, the city of opportunities and a better life. In Joan Didion’s essay ‘’Goodbye to All That’’ it states
“Nothing was irrevocable, everything was within reach.” (pg.229). There are so many resources around us to accomplish anything and everything. Nothing is impossible, don’t let excuses stop you instead view them as challenges that can be achieved. In ‘’Under the Banner of New York’’
By Zadie Smith it states ‘’New Yorkers choose to gather under the banner that says “New York”—which is so elastic it really means nothing at all—and that is exactly what I love about this place. The capacity to gather without precise definition I experience as a form of freedom, here where we do not have to be the clerk to the heir of wherever,…’’. This quote means to me that no matter where we come from New York City will always be a safe place. Despite the ups and downs that the city has as a whole, NYC is welcoming to all from around the world.

From the Middle East to a brand new world. My parents moved to America from Yemen and left everything. Their families, their homes to start a new life. Everything is different from foods, language, technology, and culture. It was all new to them coming from a small village to one of the biggest cities. My mom would tell me before that she had no one to talk to for years when she first moved here. It was just her, her husband, and her brothers. She would stay home all day, take care of the kids and make food. That was her daily routine everyday. During that time her days here were dark and cold, she would be alone in the morning because my dad and uncles were at work. All day she would be bored and when she went out she had no one to go out with just me and my sister. The language barrier was also a problem because she did not understand anyone. It was like she was the only one who spoke another language. She also looked different. Being Muslim and covering her body. Others see it as weird, at that time there weren’t many muslim woman. It was a struggle for her getting adjusted in the beginning of those years.

Shortly the attack on the twin towers happened which is referred to 9/11. My mom was in America, it was still her beginning years living here. Hate arised towards the Muslim community. People associated the attack towards Muslims. My family was in fear. They worried about the business they had built and my mom. My mom dressed very modest at that time wearing a hijab and a long black dress. Many people view Islam to be a religion that opperess woman. However its the opposite Islam gives the same rights a man has to a woman. Equal life and equal rights. Islam is a very peaceful religion and it is forbiddion to kill another man. ‘’[5:32] Whosoever kills a human being without (any reason like) man slaughter, or corruption on earth, it is as though he had killed all mankind. [17:33]‘’(A verse from the Quran). My dad and uncles feared that she would get harassed and bullied because of the way she looked. They told my mom to not leave the house only if it's with important reasoning. This made my mom very sad because now ignorant people viewed her as a terrorist. When she would go out which was very little. People had a lot to say and looked at her as if she was one of the reasons that caused 9/11 to happen. She would get hate constantly and felt attacked mentally. Even though she didn't really understand fully what people were saying or even the situation as a whole. People tried to take her scarf off and yelled at her saying terrorists get out of this country. At this time my mom would understand a little of what they were saying but it was hard for her to reply back. She was afraid to say the wrong thing and get hurt. My mom never told her brothers or husband what happened at that time because they wouldn't let her leave the house since she was out alone. It was a hard time for my mom to adapt to a place where she was not wanted. But she knew her family's future was bright and kept praying and hoping for the best in this new place she would now call home. My mom all she wanted was a better life for her kids and wanted us away from the life she came from. My mom was very hard working and had to cook, clean, take care of kids, take care of a home, take care of a husband. She never had the chance to go to school and get an education. She wanted us to have everything that she couldn't have and that's why she moved to New York City.

My dad was afraid to lose his business and lose all the hard work that he put into it over a very important situation that he had nothing to do with. My dad was losing customers and people would try to steal and fight with him. He didn't let it get to him and stayed strong. He knew if he showed fear then people would try to take advantage. My mom would pray every night for him to get home safe. My dad wasn't only working for himself he had many people depending on him back home. My dad had to provide for his parents and his siblings back home. Him knowing there are others depending on him kept him strong and going. My dad came to this country because his intentions were for a better opportunity for a brighter future and to work and provide for the ones who have supported him. He wanted his kids to one day support him in his old days. My dad started from the bottom so that his kids can one day have a supporting business for their family.

My parents always thought of the future when times were hard. The thought of kids and having a big home. They always tried to plan ahead as if time was going too fast. It's hard for me to imagine what my mom and dad went through. As immigrants in a new country it's hard adapting but i'm so thankful that my parents now have everything they ever wanted without doubts. It was a struggle that they overcame and their story inspires me to do better in life , to also achieve my goals. My parents taught me that nothing is impossible without realizing how strong and leaders they really are. I will always be thankful because this city really does build a character for you. This city is one of the hardest and most expensive cities to live in and my parents as newcomers took the advantage of the opportunity that they had in this city. 

Being the daughter of immigrants I understand the hard work and dedication it takes to live in this city. I want to make my parents proud of my accomplishments. Going to school there were always problems but I isolated myself to stay away and stay focused on school and life in general. There are many ignorant people that try to put me down with words but I try to not let it get to me. When I was younger I was really quiet and I let people talk down on me. I used to cry and not tell anyone that I would get bullied because I was wearing the hijab. However now that I am older, New York City taught me to stand up for myself and defend myself. Time square is one of the busiest places to be. I had an encounter with this man that I didn't say anything to. He cursed me out and called me a terrorist asking if I had bombs. I cursed at him and he wanted to fight and men behind me heard and saw the situation and helped me get him away. Me and my friends were so thankful that they helped us and we thanked them. This situation showed me that New Yorkers have your back because we didn’t know them and they took their time to help us. This situation was an eye opener because it reminded me of my mom’s story. There will always be rude people in this city whether you're positive or not. 
    This city is full of culture and love. Learning and having the experience of no other. The amount of diversity is accepted here in New York City. Everyone is unique and different. There will always be people that disagree with you but in New York City everyone is allowed to have opinions. A place does not shape an individual, the people surrounding you do. New York City is one of those cities that there are so many people to learn from. Everyday is a new learning experience in New York City.